What is a management trainee program and where can you apply for one?
Updated: May 18, 2018
A Management Trainee Program is an extensive training program for individuals with different functions of the company. It aims to develop brilliant minds who will hold key positions in the future. Curriculum commonly consists of classroom and on-the-job training.
It may last from a few months up to several years depending on the company. BPI training takes six months. Unilever takes two years.
Duties and Responsibilities
They vary from company to company depending on the industry. A trainee’s assignments are usually rotated among departments to gain familiarity with the whole organization and its functions.
Qualifications for the program differs.
Some look for fresh graduates:
- With good academic records (preferably someone who finished with Latin honors)
- With a series of extra-curricular activities and enumeration of outstanding accomplishments.
Others require experienced professionals:
- With master’s degree.
- Relevant work experience (2 years up).
- Leadership skills
- Decision-making skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Organization skills
- Willingness to undergo intense training
Trainees are shaped to hold key roles in the organization (e.g. managers, officers). But it does not necessarily mean that when they ‘graduate’ from the program, they are guaranteed to hold a managerial position. The program is not a shortcut to take to become a manager. Some are not placed in managerial position immediately. Instead, they are assigned as specialists until they gain the necessary experience and skills to become managers.
Some MTPs are not advertised since companies invite candidates from partner universities and colleges. A lot of them still post on job boards and company websites. But they are only available for a specific period of time. Be sure to check them from time to time. You don’t want a lost opportunity!
Here are some of the companies that offer MT programs. Happy job hunting! (Click the link for more details.)
Management Trainee Programs
Banking and Finance
- Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI)
- BDO Unibank, Inc
- China Banking Corporation Management Training Program (MTP)
- Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC)
- Philippine National Bank (PNB) Junior Executive Development Program
- UnionBank of the Philippines Leader – Executive Accelerated Development (LEAD) Management Trainee Program
- Pioneer Insurance
- Philam Life Management Associate Program
- JPMorgan Chase & Co. Management Associate Program
- Citibank Management Associate Program
- Security Bank Sales Associate – Officership Training Program
- Bank of Makati
- Development Bank of the Philippines (DBP) Management Associate Program
- Land Bank Management Training Program
FMCG (Fast-Moving Consumer Goods)
- Unilever Future Leaders Programme
- Pepsi-Cola Products Philippines, Inc.
- Mondelez International Graduate Trainee Program
- Johnson and Johnson
- Philip Morris International (PMI)
Oil and Energy
- Jollibee Foods Corporation
- Golden Arches Development Corporation (McDonald’s)
- Max’s Group, Inc
- Philippine Pizza, Inc (Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Dairy Queen)
Others (Multiple Industries)
- Maersk Graduate Programmes
- JG Summit John Gokongwei Institute for Leadership and Enterprise Development (JG-ILED)
MTP is a rough road and not anyone can get through it (I can’t even get into it. Haha!). Yet it is an excellent way for career people to grow as a professional which is rewarding. Who would want to get stuck in his/her place
How about you?
- Have you been in an MTP or are you currently in one? How’s the experience?
- If not, do you plan to apply in one? Why and why not?
- Do you know other MTPs that can be added to this list?